Thursday 20 December 2012

Why is it Getting so Hard to Give a Rescue Dog a Forever Home?

 I fully support Rescue Charities and wrote a post called "Throw Away Dogs in a Throw Away Society" some time ago about the benefits of giving an OAP dog a Forever Home.

I have just read a post that has me exploding with anger and disappointment this morning. Not at the person who wrote it I hasten to add, but at the experiences they have had with doing the right thing and trying to rehome a dog. I have been following this story for some time and was really looking forward to reading all about their new dog this week. Sadly it was not to be...  

Understandably when you approach a charity to rehome a dog, you are expected to jump through several hoops to ensure that you are a suitable candidate, you have adequate facilities for the dog and are fully aware of any problems the dog may have. They want the dogs to go to the right homes as it is very frustrating if it doesn't work out and the dog has to be returned to Rescue, and very confusing and stressful for the dog.

This process can involve several trips to the said Rescue Center at your own time, expense and emotion, which you are happy to do because you want the best for the dog you ultimately take into your home for the rest of its life. 

So why is it that Rehoming Centers are making it harder and harder for good people to rehome dogs? 
I myself was turned down by the RSPCA approximately 12 years ago because I worked part time, even though I had adequate arrangements in place. The dogs stayed at my parents house when I was at work, a bit like Doggy Daycare, plus my parents had been approved as a suitable home by the RSPCA when they were looking to rehome a dog the year before. 

I was angry, I had worked in Rescue myself, and had even been to court as a witness for the RSPCA about a Rottweiler that had been sent to me for rehoming. To be honest I felt very humiliated that I should be turned down by such a huge organisation that I had always supported, but I accepted their decision and walked away.

Over the last couple of years I have been hearing more and more times of people who are wonderful dog owners, being turned down when they try to offer a dog a Forever Home from a variety of rehoming organisations, they then give up, as they are so upset that they are considered not suitable.

I understand the need for caution, especially with certain breeds of dog falling into the wrong hands.

Sometimes people don't always have a high enough fence for that escape artist, or maybe the dog they really want needs a lot more training than they can offer, not all dogs are suitable for all people, but if so many loving dog owners are not deemed suitable, then who is?

Whilst all this indecision is going on dogs are missing out on fantastic Forever Homes and doomed to life in kennels, or worst case scenario being put to sleep.

As Christmas approaches, sadly yet again I see so many puppies are for sale  as Christmas Presents! With a lot of them the novelty will have worn off by January and they will be dumped into an already overflowing Rescue system.

We can't stop these people churning out puppies, but if nobody buys them and rehomes Rescue dogs there will be no market for them.

So why is it getting so hard to give a Rescue dog a Forever Home?

Authors Note:- These are my own views and experiences. Any offence to caused to anyone working in Rescue is unintentional. If it wasn't for the work you do more dogs would be suffering long term in bad situations.



4 comments:

  1. I have certainly been surprised by the massive industry that re-homing has become. There appears to be no shortage of money for kennels, and that could be the problem. There is little/no financial incentive to re-home rescue animals. I bet if there was no money they wouldn't be such hard a*ses about prospective homes and families.

    Great post, Dawn x.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lesley your feedback is much appreciated. I know exactly what you mean xxx

      Delete
  2. I have found this too - I fostered for the Cats Protection Leauge for a number of years but will any shelter or organisation let us re-home a cat or dog? No. Our children are deemed 'too young' at 3 and 4.
    I think many people do try re-homing centres first and when they are turned away they turn to advertising sites and that's when a huge amount of animal problems stem from - dogs being breed for a fast buck, often not taking into account bloodlines and testing interbreeds and poorly puppies are being sold to unsuspecting people.
    *rant over* x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand the need for caution when young children are involved in light of shocking stories about attacks on young children over the last few years.

      Any responsible parent/dog owner will be cautious to ensure the safety of said child and or dog. Some dogs do need recommendations not to be homed with children due to size or excitability, but a blanket ban on families because of a child's age seems most unfair, it is not an issue I have had myself, but kids and dogs are meant to be together it benefits both of them. How very frustrating for you!

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by, it's always lovely to hear from you xxx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.